Filleted End Mills

on Thu, Jul 12, 2007 in development

I finally got the new code for filleted end mills working.  I tried a number of ways to solve the line/torus intersection problem including one from an academic paper that seemed to just not work.  I had hoped to solve the equations analytically but the math becomes unwieldy and round off errors due to floating point calculations make an iterative solution more accurate anyway.  Below you can see an example of all of the work.  It doesn’t look much different from a current toolpath and that’s a good thing.  One difference though- this one takes every triangle in to account at each step.  The current zmap-based approach can miss tiny features that fall between sampling points.

I just need to test the tapered filleted end mill and then I can move on to integrating it into the new finishing toolpath code.

image

Recent Posts